* Israel welcomes Jewish New Year Israel welcomed the High Holidays Wednesday, beginning with some traditional Rosh Hashana gridlock.
* Ahmadinejad to visit Lebanon's border with Israel Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will make an official visit to Lebanon next month, the Iranian administration said.
* Celebration of Ramadan Every year Muslims around the world celebrate the Islamic tradition of Ramadan.
* China's Great (Quantum) Leap Forward Like a pair of male turkeys puffing up their chests at each other, the U.S. and Chinese militaries are back at it again.
* Bunker mentality Human civilization has collapsed.
* FLASHBACK: Military burns unsolicited Bibles sent to Afghanistan Military personnel threw away, and ultimately burned, confiscated Bibles that were printed in the two most common Afghan languages.
* Obama implores Florida minister to call off Koran burning US President Barack Obama is exhorting a Florida minister to "listen to those better angels" and call off his plan to engage in a Koran-burning protest this weekend.
* Afghans protest Quran burning plan, torch US flag Hundreds of angry Afghans burned a U.S. flag and chanted "Death to the Christians".
* Clinton: Sudan a ticking time bomb Sudan is a "ticking time bomb" in the run-up to a scheduled January vote on independence for the country's oil-rich south.
* Astronomers find evidence for unusual class of black holes Using the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile, an international team of scientists studied the images of the most extreme ultra-luminous X-ray source, HLX-1.