* The U.S. is overlooking Iran's moves in South America Iran has been working covertly not only in Canada and the United States but has also been fostering strong ties with an anti-U.S. set of countries in South America: Venezuela, Bolivia and Nicaragua.
* Emerging U.S. strategy builds a 'geopolitical economy' along China's periphery One can scarcely read anything on world affairs these days without seeing discussion of the decline of the U.S. and the rise of China. In recent weeks, however, President Obama spoke plainly, bluntly, and even disparagingly to China.
* Iran Tests Missile that Can Hit US and Israeli Bases Iran escalated tension with the West and Israel Monday, claiming that it one of its warships successfully fired a long-range coast-to-sea "Qadr" missile that can hit Israel and the United States.
* Arab League: Assad Making Observer Mission a 'Mockery' Syrian forces killed eight more protesters on Monday leading the Arab Parliament to accuse Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was making a mockery of the Arab League's observer mission to Damascus.
* Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood plans to put treaty with Israel to a referendum The Muslim Brotherhood, the overwhelming victor in the first round of elections for the Egyptian Parliament, has announced it will not recognize Israel and intends to bring the Israeli-Egyptian peace treaty to a referendum.
* Nasa's gravity twins now circling Moon The US space agency (Nasa) has succeeded in placing two new satellites in orbit around the Moon.
* Gaza Leader Boards IHH Flotilla Ship in Turkey, Lauds 'Martyrs' Haniyehâ€™s first diplomatic tour leaves no doubts on his aims as he boards the IHH ship whose terror activists attacked IDF soldiers.
* Hamas calls on Palestinian Authority to boycott peace talks with Israel Call comes day before Israeli and Palestinian negotiators are to meet in Amman, Jordan, in the first public face-to-face parley between the sides in 15 months.
* Israel, Palestinian envoys to hold talks in Jordan on Tuesday Meeting in Amman will be hosted by Jordanian FM and is taking place ahead of a January 26 Quartet deadline for the resumption of direct Israel-Palestinian peace talks.
* New Year's speeches voice fears on future of Europe EU leaders have said in their festive messages the single currency is still at risk unless they take decisive action.