* Mitchell: US and Israel 'remain close allies and friends' US envoy George Mitchell began a new swing through the Mideast on Tuesday by calling for a rapid resumption of peace talks.
* US urges quick return to Mid-East talks US Middle East envoy George Mitchell has urged a swift return to peace talks on his first day of meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
* 'Far-right gains in Europe alarming' Jewish groups across Europe reacted to far-right gains in the European parliamentary elections by urging the EU on Tuesday to do more to tackle racism and intolerance.
* EU head Barroso seeks second term Jose Manuel Barroso has declared his candidacy for a second five-year term as the European Commission's president.
* FM: World opinion Israel's No. 1 problem World public opinion is Israel's number one foreign policy problem, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said.
* EU should be talking to Hamas, says former EU adviser The EU's refusal to talk to Hamas is based on simplistic assumptions and is damaging the peace process.
* IDF developing battlefield robot snake A robot snake, capable of recording video and sound on the battlefield, is the latest addition to the IDF's technological achievements.
* Sarkozy vows to change Europe after EU elections success French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said his party's victory in Sunday's European elections showed that French people wanted the EU to change.* Barak: IDF faces more difficult wars than last Gaza op Israel Defense Forces soldier will face harsher fighting conditions in future operations than they did during Operation Cast Lead in the Gaza Strip earlier this year.