* Obama acts on Guantanamo trials Millions of people are gathering in the US capital to see Barack Obama sworn in as America's 44th president - and its first African-American leader.
* Sarkozy to host global summit on Mideast peace French President Nicolas Sarkozy plans to host in the coming months an international conference in Paris.
* Wide rifts on show at Arab summit Arab divisions over the Gaza crisis have re-emerged at a summit in Kuwait.
* Iran renews efforts to supply Hamas Iran has renewed efforts to supply advanced weaponry to Hamas.
* Olmert privately proposed division of Jerusalem to Arab leaders Were Ehud Olmert running in the upcoming election, his spokesmen would most likely hasten to deny the revelation of the Ir Amim organization.
* Gaza rebuild 'to cost billions' Rebuilding the Gaza Strip after Israel's three-week offensive will cost billions of dollars.
* European expectations peak as Obama takes office With millions of Europeans set to watch the inauguration of president-elect Barack Obama on Tuesday evening (20 January), expectations for America's first black president and his message of "hope" and "change" could hardly be higher.
* Russia opens gas taps to Europe Russia has resumed gas supplies to Ukraine and Europe, raising hopes of an end to weeks of shortages.
* China Calls on Obama to Promote Stronger Military Ties As President-elect Barack Obama prepares to take his post, the Chinese Ministry of Defense calls on him to improve military relations.* Hamas holds victory rallies as UN chief tours Gaza The U.N. chief inspected the devastation wrought by Israel's onslaught in Gaza on Tuesday.