* To destroy Islamic State, US must tackle Syria The US and its allies are trying to hammer out a coalition to push back the Islamic State group in Iraq.
* Kurdish fighters retake territories seized by Islamic State According to the report, Kurdish fighters, known as the Peshmerga, recaptured several villages that were seized by ISIS over the past summer.
* Israel preparing for 'very violent' war against Hezbollah, TV report says ust 10 days after a ceasefire ended a 50-day Israel-Hamas conflict, the Israeli army is "making plans and training" for "a very violent war" against Hezbollah in south Lebanon.
* Russia 'will react' to EU sanctions The EU says the sanctions, targeting more Russian individuals, will come in on Monday but could be later suspended if Russia withdraws troops from eastern Ukraine and observes a current truce.
* Obama: Nato coalition ready to join US against IS A coalition of Nato allies is ready to join the United States in military action against Islamic State (IS), US President Obama has announced.
* ISIS, Hamas, Iran and the West The beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Satloff has raised concerns in the West about Islamist threats.
* Iran to spare no effort to help Iraq stave off IS Al-Hayat newspaper quotes Iranian sources as saying they would consider talks with US over Islamic State threat.
* The path to jihad and the Islamic State A burning desire to topple Arab dictators leads a young student from upscale Cairo to fight with Islamic State.
* Christians arm as Mideast perils mount Across Middle East, Christian communities feel their survival is now at stake, threatened by militants of Islamic State group rampaging across Iraq and Syria, but also in Lebanon.
* EU to adopt Russia sanctions despite ceasefire EU countries are to adopt new sanctions on Russia despite the Ukraine ceasefire, but might revoke them if things go well.