* 'Russia confirms MiG jet sale to Syria' Russia has a contract to provide Syria with powerful MiG fighter jets but has not begun delivering the planes.
* Iran backs first woman minister Iranian MPs have approved the first woman minister in the 30-year history of the Islamic republic.
* Russia Seeks Afghan War Role as NATO Deaths Climb Russia is seeking a role in planning NATO’s war in Afghanistan two decades after Soviet forces were ejected from the country.
* New Threat: Hizbullah Chemical War on Israel A Kuwaiti report Thursday said that a mysterious explosion in a Hizbullah weapons warehouse six weeks ago involved chemical weapons.
* 'Future battlefield will be more lethal' The future battlefield the IDF will face will be more difficult, lethal and uncertain.
* New protests in western China There have been fresh protests in the Chinese province of Xinjiang, where almost 200 people were killed in ethnic violence in July.
* 50,000 Muslims to Descend on Capitol Hill A massive Islamic prayer service will be held on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. at the end of this month – and 50,000 Muslims are expected to take part.
* Iranian DM: We'll respond with force to Israeli attack Iran's new Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi, accused of involvement in the 1994 bombing of a Jewish cultural center in Argentina, used his first moments in office to send a clear message to Israel.
* Israel keeping watch on northern border Israel is keeping close watch on Hezbollah's activities in Lebanon.
* Barroso: Europe needs to reinvent itself European Commission chief Jose Manuel Barroso has said Europe needs to reinvent itself with a "transformational agenda".