* US 'opposes' nuclear North Korea The US "will not accept" a nuclear-armed North Korea, Defence Secretary Robert Gates has told an Asian summit.
* 'Abbas wants US to oust Netanyahu' Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas will not resume negotiations with Israel unless the Netanyahu government agrees to a complete settlement freeze.
* Pakistan army 'regains' Swat city The Pakistan military says it has regained control of the largest town in the Swat valley from the Taliban.
* Hamas says disappointed with Abbas-Obama meeting Spokesman for Islamist group says implementation of Road Map for peace plan will turn PA into Israeli armed wing.
* EU Parliament Elections Loom as Political Bellwether The European Union's legislature, accustomed to toiling in obscurity, will be thrust into a rare spotlight next week as its elections gauge voter anger.
* 'Iran will gladly give Hizbullah arms' Leading up to Lebanese elections on June 7, Hizbullah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah called Friday for unity in the country.
* Russia opens WMD disposal plant Russia has opened a facility in the Ural Mountains that will decommission vast stocks of its chemical weapons.
* Moussa: Halt all settlement construction Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa said Friday it will become impossible to establish a Palestinian state unless Israel halts settlement construction in the West Bank immediately.
* Chávez Seeks Tighter Grip on Military The efforts of President Hugo Chávez of Venezuela to strengthen his hold on the armed forces have led to high-profile arrests and a wave of reassignments.
* White House: Obama Speech to Engage Muslim Community White House officials say U.S. President Barack Obama will emphasize his "personal commitment" to improving U.S. relations with Muslims around the world.