* Taiwan Elects a Leader Who Seeks Closer China Ties Taiwan elected on Saturday its first president who had campaigned for closer economic relations with Beijing.
* Cheney in oil talks with Saudis US Vice-President Dick Cheney has met Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah to discuss ways of stabilising the oil market.
* Pakistan awaits naming of new PM The party that came top in recent elections in Pakistan is expected to name its candidate for prime minister.
* Yemen: Breakthrough in talks between Fatah and Hamas Fatah officials have agreed to Yemen's reconciliation initiative and are prepared to sign.
* Nuclear plans attract fresh fire Anti-nuclear groups have expressed their disappointment at reports that Britain is poised to join France in creating new nuclear generators.
* PA to receive Russian armored vehicles Israel has agreed to let Russia deliver 25 armored vehicles to Palestinian security forces in the West Bank.
* China steps up pressure on Tibetans China has said that Tibetan rioters killed 18 "innocent" civilians and one police officer during protests against Chinese rule.
* Kassams shatter Negev Purim festivities Three Kassam rockets fired from Gaza landed in open areas in the Sdot Negev region.
* Saudi king urges U.S. to press Israel over peace with Palestinians King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia on Friday urged U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney to pressure Israel to seal a peace deal with the Palestinians before President George W. Bush leaves office.* 'End Gaza blockade, settlement activity' Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Friday called for an end to the blockade of the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.