* Russia is top threat to national security, US general says A general in line for the highest US military post says Russia poses the greatest threat to national security.
* Obama: Chances of Iran deal less than 50-50 The president spoke to a meeting of Senate Democrats in an attempt to reassure them that he would not accept a bad Iran deal, if a deal even happens.
* Jerusalem Police Readying for Final Friday of Ramadan Thousands of police officers will spread out throughout eastern Jerusalem as Muslims flock to Temple Mount, expecting trouble.
* U.S. Offers Billions in Arms to Ease Mideast's Iran Anxiety An agreement to curb Iran's nuclear program could create a bonanza for U.S. defense contractors who already are benefiting as the Obama administration tries to assuage Israeli and Gulf Arab concerns by cutting deals for more than $6 billion in military hardware.
* Is Iran seeking to foment chaos in Jordan? Former Pentagon official to "Post": To many, news that an Iranian operative was arrested came as a surprise, but it shouldn't have.
* 'Only about 50 Jews left in Syria's main cities' Deputy minister Ayoub Kara speaks to Syrian Jewish leader.
* Analysis: Hamas playing double game with ISIS In Gaza, Hamas keeps jihadists in check; in Sinai, it cooperates with them.
* Syrian Refugees Top 4 Million Scale of human tragedy in Syria continues to balloon, as refugees say they've lost hope of ever returning home.
* In first, imperial Roman legionary camp uncovered near Megiddo Archaeologists unearth remains of 2,000-year-old Galilee garrison of Sixth Legion Ferrata, where 5,000 men kept order at time of Bar Kochba Revolt - the only permanent Roman military camp ever discovered in region.
* UNESCO raises Israel's "endangering" Jerusalem's Old City The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is about to accuse Israel of "endangering" the Old City of Jerusalem.Arab countries such as Algeria, Lebanon and Qatar have submitted a resolution to UNESCO condemning "the persistence of the illegal excavations and works conducted by the Israeli occupation authorities and the extreme settler groups in the Old City of Jerusalem.".