* Yair Lapid: The PA Will Give Up Jerusalem If Israel does not compromise on the unity of Jerusalem, or on the so-called "right of return," the Palestinian Authority will give up on both, political newcomer Yair Lapid, head of the Yesh Atid party, argued.
* How is China choosing its new leaders? Given China's powerful economy and increasing military clout, there is heightened international interest in the country's upcoming change in leadership.
* As thousands flee Syria, Assad denies civil war claims Syrian President Bashar al-Assad denied there was a civil war in his country as the number of refugees fleeing the conflict surged.
* Sudan's Bashir denounces Israel as enemy Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir says his country is seeking the capability to defend itself against Israeli strikes.
* Twelve EU countries likely to back Palestine's UN bid Palestine can count on about 12 Yes votes by EU countries when it tries to upgrade its UN status, in a move expected later this month.
* Thousands of Islamists protest for sharia in Egypt Thousands of Islamists rallied in Cairo on Friday to demand immediate introduction of sharia.
* Ya'alon: We've sent warning messages to Syria Israel has sent a number of warning messages to Syria and is ready to defend itself, Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe Ya'alon said.
* EU to be federalised in the long run, Merkel says The EU commission will eventually become a government, the council of member states an "upper chamber" and the European Parliament more powerful.
* CIA Director Petraeus resigns over affair CIA Director David Petraeus resigned his post as head of the nation's leading spy agency.
* Peres pushes Putin on Iran nuclear issue Israel and Russia share a joint understanding that problems such as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict must be resolved and the only way to reach a settlement is through dialogue.