* Gaza air campaign 'a first stage' Israel's air assault on Gaza is "the first in several stages" of operations aimed at ending militant rocket fire.
* Christmas massacres 'killed 400' More than 400 people have been killed by Ugandan rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo in attacks since Christmas day.
* Hamas calls 'reservists' to foil attack Hamas's armed wing, Izaddin Kassam, on Monday announced that it was recruiting an additional 1,000 militiamen ahead of a possible IDF ground operation in the Gaza Strip.
* EU foreign ministers to meet over Gaza violence EU foreign ministers are to meet in Paris on Tuesday (30 December) evening to discuss the escalation of violence in the Gaza Strip.
* Russian presidential term extended to 6 years Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Tuesday signed a law extending the presidential term.
* Azeri ban on foreign broadcasts Azerbaijan has decided to ban from 1 January foreign radio broadcasts on the country's national frequencies.
* Mixed Christians Reactions to Operation Cast Lead There have been quick reactions from international and local Christian organizations to the ongoing Israeli counter-terrorist Operation Cast Lead in Gaza.
* Iran sets up court to try Israelis over Gaza Iran has set up a court to try Israelis for their air attacks on Gaza and is ready to try in absentia any people who Tehran says have committed "crimes."
* Incoming European Union President: Israel is Right The Czech Republic, which takes over the European Union's rotating presidency this week, takes Israel’s side in the conflict with Hamas.* Ten years on, eurozone takes on 16th member Ten years after the original 11 countries in western Europe set up a common currency, the monetary union is due to enlarge to Slovakia.