* Tradition Today: Reclaiming Rosh Hashana We are on the eve of the celebration of the Yamim Nora'im, the Days of Awe, which begin with Rosh Hashana.
* Assad: Relations with Iran to continue even if peace with Israel achieved The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that senior American and Syrian diplomats held a series of meetings in New York over the past week.
* 'Rice expresses satisfaction over Syria-Israel indirect talks' In what may be a sign that the recent hardline American position towards Syria is softening, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Moallem met with US Secretary of State Condeleezza Rice.
* Olmert: Israel should quit most occupied land Israel should withdraw from nearly all territory captured in the 1967 Middle East war in return for peace with the Palestinians and Syria.
* Europe scrambles to save banking system European authorities in Brussels, Frankfurt and at EU member state level are scrambling to save the continent's financial system after bank stocks plunged.
* Holiday poll finds negative national views Just before Rosh Hashana gives us cause to rejoice in the new year, the War and Peach Index may give us cause to pause before ushering in the holiday cheer.
* Karzai Seeks Saudi Help With Taliban As the Afghan war intensifies and American commanders call for increased troop levels, President Hamid Karzai said on Tuesday that he had sought the intercession of the Saudi royal family.
* Hamas, Fatah leaders pledge Palestinian unity bid Leaders of the rival Palestinian groups Fatah and Hamas marked the end of the holy month of Ramadan on Tuesday.
* Nuclear Terrorism Is No. 1 Threat, ElBaradei Says The likelihood that terrorists will detonate a nuclear weapon poses the greatest risk to world security.* Iraqi police: Car bomb in Baghdad kills 3 A parked car bomb targeted a restaurant in a mostly Shiite neighborhood in Baghdad.