* Russian jets attack Georgian town Russian jets have bombed a Georgian town amid a deepening crisis over the breakaway South Ossetia region.
* US: Russia must halt attacks on Georgia The United States on Friday called on Russia to halt aircraft and missile attacks in Georgia's breakaway region of South Osseti.
* "Seculars Want Temple', as Fast of Av Begins Saturday Night The fast of Tisha B'Av, the "saddest" day in the Jewish calendar, begins on Saturday night as the Sabbath ends.
* 2008 Olympic Games open in Beijing Once-reclusive China commandeered the world stage Friday, celebrating its first-time role as Olympic host.
* Iraq's Sadr launches unarmed wing Iraqi Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr has announced the creation of a cultural wing of his organisation, known for its Mehdi Army militia.
* Diplomats say Syria turned away IAEA Syria has blocked a new visit by International Atomic Energy Agency experts seeking to follow up on intelligence that Damascus built a secret nuclear program.
* Israeli sources: Peres meets with Putin in Beijing President Shimon Peres reportedly met with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in Beijing.
* US State Department Accuses Yad L'Achim In its International Religious Freedom Report for 2008, the United States State Department has accused the counter-missionary organization Yad L'Achim of using violence against those who come to Israel seeking to bring Jews to abandon Judaism.
* 'Israeli Miracle' is developing strong ties with Communist China Starting this afternoon and for the next 17 days, the gaze of the entire world will be set on the vast stadiums built by China.* EU diplomats fly out to stop Georgia-Russia war EU and US diplomats are arriving in Georgia on Saturday (9 August) to try to broker a ceasefire.