* Israel marks solemn, silent Day of Atonement Israelis prepared for the holiest day of the Jewish calendar on Friday when the entire country grinds almost to a halt for Yom Kippur, Judaism's day of atonement.
* US and Russia agree Syria chemical weapons deal in Geneva Syria's chemical weapons must be destroyed or removed by mid-2014, under an agreement between the US and Russia.
* Security forces on high alert as Israelis mark Yom Kippur Expecting many thousands of Jewish worshipers to gather at the Western Wall in Jerusalem at the start of Yom Kippur Friday evening, police have preemptively undertaken numerous security measures.
* Poll: 73% of Israelis fast on Yom Kippur Survey conducted by BINA organization shows most Israelis abstain from eating on Day of Atonement.
* No, Syria's Assad is not 'the new Hitler' Every time the war party wants to attack another country its leader is always compared to the Nazi dictator.
* Middle Israel: The last war It started at 2 p.m. As if echoing the thunders that once paralyzed their forebears at Mount Sinai's foothills.
* Diplomacy: The Oslo reversal In the last 20 years, the Oslo Accords have turned from a dream into a nightmare.
* Barroso: Crisis inspired EU-wide debate European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said his State of the Union address laid out a pro-European narrative.
* Al-Qaeda chief calls for attacks inside US Al-Qaeda's leader on Friday marked the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks by calling on Muslims to strike inside the United States.
* Voyager probe 'leaves Solar System' The Voyager-1 spacecraft has become the first manmade object to leave the Solar System.