* EU assessment: IDF can't stop Iran alone EU diplomatic sources who specialize in the Middle East believe that Israel cannot stop the Iranian nuclear program on its own using military means.
* Russia offers Chavez $1 billion for weapons The Kremlin has decided to offer a $1 billion loan for arms purchases to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.
* As UN Debates Jewish Growth, Samaria Head Says 'Leave Us Alone' Samaria Regional Council head Geshon Mesika said: "Our rights to live and build in Yehuda and Shomron [Judea and Samaria] are historical and biblical.
* Bush, Abbas try to keep peace talks moving US President George W. Bush on Thursday met with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to try to keep Middle East negotiations alive.
* UN to hold session on settlements The UN Security Council has agreed to hold a high-level open debate Friday on the ongoing Israeli settlement building in disputed territory.
* PA Blindly Bashes Jews' 'Imaginary Temple' The Palestinian Authority, run by PLO Fatah chief Mahmoud Abbas, is again making efforts to popularize Muslim denial of the Jewish connection to Jerusalem.
* The Arabs and the U.S. Financial Crunch When a financial earthquake hits the United States, its tremors are bound to be felt across the world.
* Azerbaijan diverts EU oil to Russia and Iran Azerbaijan is sticking to plans to reduce oil exports to the EU and increase shipments to Russia and Iran.
* 'US against Israeli strike on Iran' The US refused to give Israel a green light for an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities when Jerusalem requested Washington's support for such a move this past spring.* Wall Street rescue deal stalemate Talks to agree a huge $700bn (£380bn) bail-out of the US financial industry have ended in a "shouting match".