* Israelis usher in Jewish New Year with uncertainty Israelis ushered in the year 5775 as they celebrated the Jewish New Year on Wednesday still shaken from this summer's 50-day war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
* Islamic State crisis: US hits IS oil targets in Syria The US-led coalition against Islamic State (IS) has targeted 12 oil refineries in Syria on a third night of air strikes against the militants.
* Iraq: We've uncovered Islamic State plot for attack on US, Paris subways Iraq has received "credible" intelligence that Islamic State militants plan to launch attacks on subway systems in Paris and the United States.
* Rouhani Blames the West for Rise of Islamic State, Demands Apology Iranian president Hassan Rouhani, whom the Obama administration has considered enlisting in the fight against the Islamic State, blamed the growing threat of the jihadist group on the West's involvement in the Middle East.
* Just do it! The simple meaning of the shofar On this Rosh Hashana, let us trumpet the message of the shofar, keep it simple and "just do it."
* Fatah, Hamas agree to cede control of Gaza to unity government Hamas and Fatah said on Thursday that they have reached agreement to allow the Palestinian Authority government to operate in the Gaza Strip.
* Pakistan policeman kills imprisoned Christian pastor accused of blasphemy A Pakistani policeman shot two men in jail on Thursday, killing one accused of blasphemy and wounding another condemned to death on the same charge.
* Jordan's king urges international defeat of jihadists Jordan's King Abdullah II, a key US ally in the fight against jihadists in Iraq and Syria, called Wednesday for a collective strategy to defeat militants who threaten global security.
* Study: Many European Jews Hide Their Identity A majority of Jews living in Europe today avoid outward demonstrations of their faith and nearly half actively hide their ethnic identity.
* European powers focus on Islamic State at UN assembly The fight against Islamic State (IS) took centre stage from the Ukraine war when European powers spoke at the UN general assembly in New York on Thursday (25 September).