* Egypt protests: Mass rally in Cairo ahead of election Tens of thousands of protesters have packed into central Cairo's Tahrir Square to demand that Egypt's military rulers step aside.
* Sinai forces on high alert over Jihad threat Alert level in al-Arish raised to unprecedented level after reports suggest Jihad members planning attack on local security headquarters
* Iran's Khamenei presents war scenarios In an unusual step, Iran's spiritual leader publishes commentary on official website outlining three scenarios for strike against Islamic Republic.
* LAF will fight against Israel in next conflict IDF commander estimates Lebanese army will join Hezbollah in next conflict in backdrop of mysterious blast in South Lebanon earlier this week
* Syria unrest: Arab League observer ultimatum passes An Arab League deadline for Syria to allow an observer mission or face sanctions has passed with no response from Damascus to the ultimatum.
* Patrick Cockburn: This was always a civil war, and the victors are not merciful The purge of Gaddafi supporters is made more dangerous by infighting between the militias
* The Makings of History: King James and his bible James Charles Stuart, King of England, won eternal glory by commissioning the biggest best seller in history: The King James Bible.
* EU calls for civilian government in Egypt, as thousands rally in Tahrir Square Tens of thousands gather in Cairo for largest day of protests against ruling military council.
* Abbas, Mashaal hail new Palestinian "Partnership" After meeting in Cairo, Palestinian president, Hamas leader say "there are no more differences between us now."
* EU steps back, as tensions build ahead of Congo elections On seizing power from Zaire's long-standing dictator Mobutu Sese Seko in 1997, Laurent-Desire Kabila changed the country's name to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).