* PM: No accord without Palestinians recognizing Jewish Israel At opening of Knesset's winter session, Netanyahu vows again to thwart Iran if necessary, says Palestinians must abandon demand for 'right of return'.
* Iran, world powers set to resume nuclear talks in Geneva U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says window for diplomacy with Iran is "cracking open" ~ Kerry: In any engagement with Iran, we are mindful of Israel's security needs.
* World should 'de-Americanise', says China following default fears US default fears prompts China's state-run media call for the world to "de-Americanise" as Christine Lagarde warns of "massive disruption the world over".
* Netanyahu: Easing off sanctions against Iran now would be a 'historic mistake' During Knesset speech, PM says the Iranian economy is on the verge of collapse as a result of sanctions; stresses Palestinians recognition of Israel's right to exist as Jewish state is imperative to peace process.
* Mufti of Jerusalem calls for preachers throughout the world to speak about Al-Aksa Mosque Popular Arab daily runs article stating recently deceased Rabbi Ovadia Yosef is going to hell.
* 13 detained on Temple Mount for Jewish prayer, singing Hatikva Three of the men laid on the ground in protest of restrictions.
* Morsi defiant after Egypt's crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood Deposed leader's family says he won't negotiate with authorities; he is due to face trial on Nov. 4 on charges of inciting violence.
* 'Diamond rain' falls on Saturn and Jupiter Diamonds big enough to be worn by Hollywood film stars could be raining down on Saturn and Jupiter, US scientists have calculated.
* Radiation experts confirm polonium on Arafat clothing Swiss radiation experts have confirmed they found traces of polonium on clothing used by Yasser Arafat which "support the possibility" the veteran Palestinian leader was poisoned.
* Muslim pilgrims throng Mount Arafat for hajj climax Hundreds of thousands descend on holy site in Saudi Arabia to listen to top cleric's annual sermon.