* Israel comes to a halt for Yom Kippur fasting and atonement Israel came to a virtual standstill at sundown Friday as Jews began observing the start of the holiest day of the Jewish calendar.
* Iran, Syria presidents meet in Damscus after Assad-U.S. talks Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad met Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus on Saturday.
* Report sees Israel reoccupying Gaza, 'substantial' parts of Lebanon in next war The Washington Institute for Near East Policy asserted that Israel was preparing for a multi-front war that could result in the occupation of most or all of the Gaza Strip.
* Obama Is Said to Be Preparing to Seek Approval on Saudi Arms Sale President Obama is preparing to seek Congressional approval for a huge arms sale to Saudi Arabia.
* Israeli, Turkish presidents to meet Turkish President Abdullah Gul will meet with President Shimon Peres next week during the United General Assembly session in New York.
* Afghan polls close after parliamentary vote Six security force members were killed in a Taliban attack in the north, and at least five people were killed in other attacks across the country.
* US urges transparency in nearing Egyptian election Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has recently received a letter for US President Barack Obama.
* Poll: Turks prefer Mideast over Europe More Turks favor strengthening ties with Middle Eastern countries, than with the 27 members of the European block.
* Palestinian officials launch 'smiles campaign' in U.S. Jewish media American Jewish publications have received numerous proposals in recent days from senior Palestinian officials.
* Pope tells UK he's sorry but thousands protest Pope Benedict XVI said Saturday he was ashamed of the "unspeakable" sexual abuse of children by priests.