* Europe awaits new US president in time of crisis Some 130 million American voters will elect on Tuesday the new man to take over the White House.
* Bush Calls Quartet to Meet: A Surprise in the Making? President George W. Bush is making a last ditch effort toward forging a peace deal between the Israelis and Palestinians.
* Settlers preparing for war, says Shin Bet chief A government decision to evacuate more territory may lead to a large-scale violent conflict with settlers, complete with live fire.
* Egypt dismisses Lieberman's warning of war Egypt dismissed comments made by Israel Beiteinu Chairman Avigdor Lieberman that Cairo is merely waiting for an opportunity to start a war with Israel.
* Gaddafi seeks Russia energy pact The Libyan leader, Col. Muammar Gaddafi, has said he hopes to increase energy ties with Russia, during his first visit to Moscow since the Soviet era.
* Sarkozy's Mediterranean plan slow to get moving A plan to bind Europe to its southern neighbors was supported by no fewer than 43 countries at a summit meeting in a glittering Parisian palace in July.
* The reality of Karbala The next president of the United States must be prepared to face the challenge of Karbala, a town in central Iraq that was the site of one of the most important battles in the history of Islam.
* Eurozone is on verge of recession The eurozone is on the brink of recession with economic growth falling 0.2% in the second quarter.
* Iranian FM meets Assad in Damascus A series of meetings among high officials in Lebanon, Syria and Iran began on Sunday and continued on Monday.
* Abbas: No peace agreement by 2009 Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas acknowledged that a US-motivated drive toward a working peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians by the end of 2008 was not likely to succeed.