* Iraq conflict: Obama vows to stop jihadist state US President Barack Obama has said he will not allow jihadists to carve out a "caliphate" straddling Syria and Iraq.
* US drops new aid to Iraqis fleeing militant surge Islamic State extremists capture hundreds of Yazidi women, while thousands of other civilians flee in fear.
* Hamas - a wounded animal in Gaza With Hamas' demands left unanswered in Cairo, the group was forced to launch a fresh round of rocket attacks in an attempt to save face, salvage a semblance of achievement.
* 'If demands not met by Sunday, we will attack Tel Aviv,' says Hamas Hamas spokesman says resistance ready for long battle, will not waiver on demands, in particular opening of Gaza sea port.
* Christians: 'We Are Dying, and World is Too Busy With Gaza to Care' As the orgy of condemnation against Israel in the wake of the Gaza war continues, Christians in Iraq are doing their best to be heard above the din while they still have a voice.
* Watch: Temple Institute Tours Temple Mount on Tisha B'av Rabbi Chaim Richman leads tour of the Temple Mount as it is opened for Jews on 9 Av for the first time since 2011.
* Iran's elite Guards fighting in Iraq to push back Islamic State In early July, hundreds of mourners gathered for the funeral of Kamal Shirkhani in Lavasan, a small town northeast of the Iranian capital Tehran.
* Watch: Italian Muslim Cleric Calls to 'Kill the Jews' Imam in northern Italian city recorded giving anti-Semitic sermon, prays for Jews to be wiped out 'to the very last one'.
* Egypt court bans Muslim Brotherhood's political wing A court in Egypt has dissolved the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), the Muslim Brotherhood's political wing.
* Jordanians stage massive pro-Hamas rally Over 15,000 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood hold protest in Amman, call on Palestinian factions to intensify rocket fire into Israel.