* New Mossad head: Iran remains Israel's most significant challenge "Israel is located at the center of the earthquake that has hit the Middle East in recent years," says Yossi Cohen at ceremony marking first day in post.
* 'US, Israel should ensure Iran not involved in N. Korean nuclear program' North Korea does not only threaten Far East, Steinitz says.
* As 'cold war' with Saudis sharpens, Iran's Revolutionary Guards deliver warning "Iran has created a Frankenstein," says a Western diplomat in Beirut.
* North Korea nuclear H-bomb claims met by scepticism International scepticism and condemnation have greeted North Korea's claim to have successfully carried out an underground hydrogen bomb test.
* WATCH - PA Documentary: Europe Created Israel to 'Get Rid of Corrupt, Scheming Jews' Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement continues to celebrate its 51st anniversary, this time broadcasting a documentary that claims Europe created Israel to "get rid of the corrupt, scheming Jews" who were "bringing tragedy" to the continent, Palestinian Media Watch reported.
* Will Iran win the technology war? Israel urgently needs a strategic plan to maintain the technological advantage over nations dedicated to wiping out the Jewish state.
* Lessons We Palestinians Can Learn This past week, the Israelis arrested 25 Hamas terrorists in the West Bank, most of them students from Al-Quds University in Abu Dis.
* Vatican Furious Over Charlie Hebdo's 'Blasphemous' Cover The Vatican newspaper has lashed out against a portrayal of a blood-stained terrorist God on the cover of Charlie Hebdo's special issue commemorating one year since the terror attack on its Paris office in which 11 people were killed.
* US sees Assad staying in Syria at least until March 2017 Washington's best-case scenario for political transition does not foresee embattled president immediately stepping down.
* Oil price falls below $35 a barrel to fresh 11-year low Oil has continued its rollercoaster ride into the new year, with Brent crude falling below $35 a barrel for the first time in 11 years.