* Security forces on high alert as Israel marks Yom Kippur Security and rescue forces were on high alert and deployed in large numbers in Jerusalem and throughout the West Bank for Yom Kippur.
* Iran unveils 'indigenous' drone with 2,000km range Iran has unveiled what it says is a new "indigenous" long-range unmanned drone capable of flying over most of the Middle East.
* Jordan on the brink: Muslim Brothers mobilize for King Abdullah's overthrow Brotherhood has given King Abdullah II notice that he has until October to bow to their demand to transform the Hashemite Kingdom into a constitutional monarchy.
* Ahmadinejad addresses U.N. General Assembly Amid warnings from other world leaders-and planned protests outside-Mahmoud Ahmadinejad addressed the United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday.
* Libyan president: Benghazi attack was a 'preplanned act of terrorism' Libyan President Mohammed Magarief said the controversial film that mocked Islam's Prophet Muhammad and ignited protests throughout the Muslim world had "nothing to do" with the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.
* Hubble captures extraordinary view of Universe The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has produced one of its most extraordinary views of the Universe to date.
* Syria unrest: Damascus attack 'was suicide bomb' State TV quoted army sources saying that 14 others were hurt in the attacks, contradicting earlier official accounts that said no one had died.
* Athens clashes as Greek police fire tear gas Greek police have fired tear gas to disperse anarchists throwing petrol bombs near parliament in Athens.
* Angela Merkel: Europe must stay the course with painful reform Angela Merkel issued a blunt warning to Germany's ailing eurozone neighbours yesterday.
* Largest-ever exercise prepares to seize Persian Gulf in the event of war with Iran An ongoing U.S.-led naval exercise involving 20 nations from the Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and North America is intended to ensure rapid control of the Gulf in case of war with Iran.