* 'Shelling of UNRWA building was response to anti-tank fire' Gunshots and an anti-tank missile were fired at IDF troops near the UN compound that was attacked by the IDF on Thursday.
* Rift apparent in Hamas as fighting intensifies Signs of sharp division are appearing within the top ranks of Hamas as fighting with Israel in Gaza intensifies.
* Ban: Death toll in Gaza 'unbearable' UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday called on for an immediate ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
* Iran signs oil deal with China Iran's official news agency says the country has signed a $1.76 billion deal with China to develop the North Azadegan oil field in southwestern Iran near the Iraq border.
* Hamas accepts cease-fire 'in principle' Hamas announced on Wednesday that it has accepted the Egyptian cease-fire initiative "in principle" and that it was now awaiting Israel's response.
* Eastern Europeans Appeal For an End to Gas Standoff Russia and Ukraine continued bickering Wednesday over which pipelines should be used to deliver natural gas to Europe.
* China becomes third largest economy China overtook Germany to become the world’s third-largest economy in 2007.
* Iran says U.S. administration must change approach Iran's president said on Thursday the new U.S. administration must change Washington's approach to the Islamic Republic.
* Urgent Arab summit in Qatar still not decided Arab League officials announced Wednesday night that they still did not have the necessary legal quorum to convene an emergency Arab League summit in Doha.* Islamists take bases in Mogadishu The last Ethiopian troops in Somalia's capital have left Mogadishu, two years after they captured it from Islamists who again control much of it.