* Russian army chief: We'll use nuclear weapons if threatened Russia's military chief of staff said Saturday that Moscow could use nuclear weapons in preventive strikes in case of a major threat.
* Abbas calls Israeli air strikes 'brutal' Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday denounced Israel's ongoing military strikes in the Gaza Strip as "brutal."
* UN chief warns on Gaza violence UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called on the Israelis and Palestinians to take urgent measures to try to end escalating violence in the Gaza Strip.
* Nasrallah: We have a near-complete body of an IDF soldier Hizbullah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah appeared in public for the first time since 2006 on Saturday, warning Israel against attacking Lebanon.
* Iraqi Shia pilgrims mark holy day About two million pilgrims have marched through the Iraqi city of Karbala to mark Ashura - one of the holiest events in the Shia religious calendar.
* Serbians head to polls for decisive elections On Sunday (20 January), Serbian citizens will go to the polls to choose their new president in an election likely to strongly influence the country's EU path.
* Pipeline Cements Russia's Hold on Europe’s Gas Supply Russia strengthened its grip on Europe's energy supplies on Friday as it signed a major gas deal with Bulgaria.
* Hamas: We foiled Fatah plot on Haniyeh A senior Hamas figure in the Gaza Strip on Saturday accused rival Fatah of plotting to assassinate Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh as he prayed.
* 'A valley of economic harmony' An ambitious plan to launch a series of economic ventures in the West Bank is one step closer to being realized.* EU urges Israelis to ease Palestinian movement A senior European official urged Israel on Friday to ease freedom of movement and trade for Palestinians in the West Bank.