* Rosh HaShanah: Sound of the Shofar Heralds Month of Holidays The sonorous call of the ram's horn – the Shofar – will herald the start of Rosh HaShanah, the Jewish New Year on Wednesday evening.
* Castro to Ahmadinejad: Stop denying the Holocaust n rare interview, retired Cuban dictator tells Jeffrey Goldberg, "The Jews have lived an existence that is much harder than ours."
* Florida minister: Koran burning still planned Gen. Petraeus: Images of burning would undoubtedly be used by extremists around the world to inflame pubic opinion, incite violence.
* Obama, Clinton call on US Jews, Muslims to back talks US President Barack Obama indicated he understood recent Palestinian statements threatening to quit the peace process and rejecting compromise as political posturing.
* Iran prepares for attack, sets air defense exercise Iran has been preparing for a major air defense exercise meant to test its response to any Israeli or U.S. attack.
* Sha'ath: PA will never recognize Israel as Jewish "The Palestinian Authority will never recognize Israel as a Jewish state," Palestinian negotiator Nabil Sha'ath said.
* China's Hu calls for stable ties with US Chinese President Hu Jintao told American officials on Wednesday that he wants to see healthy and stable ties between the two countries.
* Financial Sheriffs to Monitor Banks, Markets in European Union When the financial crisis erupted two years ago, toppling banks and triggering eye-watering bailouts, European policymakers at times seemed too stunned by the scale of the situation.
* Hamas warns PA: Stop arresting our people or we'll strike Hamas on Wednesday warned that it would harm the Palestinian Authority if security forces continued to arrest its operatives in the West Bank.
* Israel worried by Jones proposal for int'l force in W. Bank American proposal to establish a multi-national force in the West Bank could be way to expedite a withdrawal following any peace deal with PA.