* Syrian/Hizballah may call up Russian air strikes as cooperation deepens Russian air crews in Syria are under new orders to respond directly and immediately to Iranian and Syrian demands for air bombardments, without confirmation from the high commands in Latakia or Moscow.
* Islamic State calls on Muslims to commit jihad mass murder at hurricane relief centers "To all the (lone mujahids) in the U.S. (warrior), pop down to Houston and drop in at any of the relief centers housing displaced people from the Houston floods, make sure to bring lots of supplies/gadgets/toys to see if you can help put any (unbeliever) out of their misery."
* Israel and US Open First American Military Base in Israel BISLACH AIR BASE, Israel (AP) -- Israel and the U.S. inaugurated the first American military base on Israeli soil on Monday, which will serve dozens of soldiers operating a missile defense system.
* Iraqi Kurdish referendum must be suspended - Iraqi PM Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has formally demanded the suspension of next week's referendum on Kurdish independence.
* Iranian Army Chief: We Will Turn Tel Aviv and Haifa into Dust On the eve of Prime Minister Netanyahu's meeting with US President Donald Trump, Tehran threatens to destroy Israel "with lightning speed."
* Trump, Netanyahu Express Hope for Peace Ahead of New York Meeting "I actually think that with the ability of Bibi, and frankly with the other side, I really think we have a chance."
* In Pictures: Kurds are Flying Israeli Flags at Independence Rallies The unprecedented embrace of the Israeli flag comes amidst Israel's support for Kurdish rights and historic connections between the two nations.
* Israel's population tops 8.7 million on Rosh Hashanah eve Growth rate stands at 1.8% for the year, with Jews now numbering over 6.5 million and Arabs over 1.8 million.
* Jewish New Year fruit may hold seeds of hope for brain disease sufferers Israeli neurologist, nanotech expert make pomegranate oil capsules that send antioxidants where they can have the most effect.
* Textbook: 'The Hour' Won't Come Until All Jews Killed A new report by Human Rights Watch states that Saudi Arabia's religious studies curriculum contains hateful and incendiary language toward religions and Islamic traditions that do not adhere to its interpretation of Sunni Islam.