* Pope Francis urges action on climate change on visit to US Pope Francis has called for further action on climate change saying that it was "a critical moment of history", on the first day of his visit to the US.
* Heatwave, bikes and Jerusalem tensions: A wary Israel marks Yom Kippur Temperatures set to exceed 30ºC, West Bank and Gaza under closure, and rescue services on alert for annual scrapes as cyclists hit the deserted streets.
* Report: Russia Building Two New Military Bases in Syria Satellite images show Russia is building weapons storage and military outpost, while US tries to find ways to work with Moscow.
* Pentagon Drawing War Plans Against Russia The Pentagon is drawing up contingency plans for a war with Russia.
* Ya'alon: Israel retains its freedom to act in Syria Defense minister says Jewish state will not allow advanced Russian weapons to end up in the hands of Hezbollah.
* More than 2 million Muslims in Saudi Arabia start hajj Pilgrimage traces paths of Prophets Abraham, Ishmael and Muhammad; starta in Mecca before heading to nearby tent city of Mina.
* In Hajj message, Iran's leader castigates Israel and the US Khamenei urges Muslims to 'understand your divine responsibility' in the face of American 'evil'.
* Migrant crisis: EU splits exposed as summit begins Splits within the EU on the relocation of 120,000 migrants have been further exposed as leaders begin an emergency meeting in Brussels.
* Report: Muslims Are The Fastest Growing Immigrant Community Muslims are the fastest growing bloc of immigrants, according to new census data published by the Center for Immigration Studies.
* Iran Promises to Violate Nuke Deal Multiple senior Iranian officials have vowed in recent weeks to violate the recently inked nuclear accord that aims to constrain the Islamic Republic's contested nuclear enrichment program, according to multiple comments by top Iranian leaders.