* Syrian FM: Syria formally confirms mission to restore 'Israeli-occupied' Golan Heights Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem tells UN General Assembly that Israel is "handicapping" the possibility of a "weapons of mass destruction free" zone in the Middle East.
* Netanyahu's mission: Setting parameters for Obama's Iran diplomacy It's too late to stop the US president engaging with Rouhani; what the PM will attempt is to ensure that Iran cannot access anything more than 'peaceful nuclear energy'.
* Syrian FM to UN: 'Terrorists from 83 countries fighting in Syria' The Syrian government is fighting against 'terrorist groups from 83 countries' as part of its 'constitutional right' to protect the country's people, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem told the UN General Assembly in New York.
* Russia Issues Grave iPhone Warning: 'Users Give Up All Rights' A new report written by Ambassador Andrei Krutskikh from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to Deputy Defense Minister Colonel General Oleg Ostapenko that is circulating in the Kremlin today warns that use of the new Apple iPhone 5 constitutes a 'grave threat' to all Russian citizens in that merely by its use, 'all users have given up their rights to the United States Government.'
* Journalist: Saudis, Gulf States 'Shocked' By Obama-Rouhani Chat Saudi Arabian officials have sharply criticized President Obama for conducting phone conversation with Iranian President Rouhani.
* US shutdown looms amid political stalemate over budget A US government shutdown looms as Democrat and Republican lawmakers remain unable to strike a deal on a new plan to continue funding its operation.
* French were 'hours' from military strikes on Syria before phone call from Obama Fighter jets were preparing for scheduled take off when President Hollande took 'stunning' call from US telling him to hold fire
* Iran Guards chief: Rohani should have spurned Obama call In first official criticism of Rohani, head of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards says president should have 'refused to speak' to Obama until US put forward 'concrete action' such as 'lifting all sanctions against Iran, releasing frozen assets'
* Popes Set For Sainthoods As Vatican Bends Rules Pope Francis to waive requirement that two 'confirmed' miracles must be performed as he announces a joint canonisation next year.
* Right-leaning Likud members aim to block any agreement Netanyahu makes with PA Danon leads voice of dissenters from within PM's party; says 'We can't let there be industrial quiet.'