* US 'must target Pakistan havens' The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff has called for a new strategy in Afghanistan to deny militants bases across the border in Pakistan.
* 7 years after 9/11, al-Qaida is in disarray Seven years after September 11, 2001, al-Qaida as an organization is seen by many analysts to be in some disarray.
* US 'provoked Russia-Georgia war' Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov has accused the United States of emboldening Georgia to start a war in the Caucasus to test Russian resolve.
* Saudis to ignore OPEC decision to cut production Saudi officials assured world markets Wednesday that they would ignore the decision and continue to pump as much oil as needed.
* Russian bombers land in Venezuela Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez says two Russian bombers have arrived in the country to carry out training flights.
* Rabbi Tendler to Rabbis: Permit Temple Mount Visits! "The citation of Jewish Law that is being spouted to prohibit Jewish entry to the Temple Mount is sometimes embarrassing."
* UN Warns of Increased Trafficking, Use of Synthetic Drugs in Near & Middle East Trafficking and use of synthetic drugs, known as amphetamine type stimulants (ATS), is rapidly on the increase in the Near and Middle East.
* 'Big Bang' experiment starts well Scientists have hailed a successful switch-on for an enormous experiment which will recreate the conditions a few moments after the Big Bang.
* Major quakes hit Japan and Indonesia A magnitude 6.9 earthquake rattled Japan on Thursday, within minutes of a magnitude 6.6 earthquake in Indonesia.* Israel wants more indirect Syria talks Israel wants a fifth round of indirect talks with Syria in Turkey, senior diplomatic officials said .