* Putin orders military to be 'extremely tough' to protect Russian forces in Syria Russian president says that, by being in Syria, troops prevent threats posed to their country by Islamists and protect its citizens.
* Experts warn ISIS menace is rising in Africa A coalition of Libyan ISIS rebels and Boko Haram could be a game-changer on the continent, with ISIS know-how already revamping Boko Haram.
* Coloring book highlights brutality of Islamic State Grisly images in comic for adults include depictions of beheadings and mutilations by the jihadist group.
* Top Iraqi Shi'ite cleric demands Turkey withdraw Iraq's Grand Ayatollah lashes out at Turkey for deploying troops without approval, after Erdogan says withdrawal 'out of the question.'
* COP21: World awaits landmark climate deal Organisers of climate talks in Paris have released details of a proposed landmark deal to curb climate change.
* ISIS release chilling new 'end of the world' video showing final battle with 'crusaders' The terror group have released footage showing an ISIS 'armoured vehicle advancing towards Colosseum in reference to the 'armies of Rome'.
* Islamic State oil trade 'worth more than $500m' The so-called Islamic State (IS) has made more than $500m (¬£330m) trading oil, a US treasury official has said.
* Catholics should not try to convert Jews, Vatican says in landmark document Christianity and Judaism are intertwined and God never annulled his covenant with the Jewish people, document reads.
* Hanukkah worldwide, lifeline to a shared Jewish heritage A celebration of the festival of lights in photographs, some from unexpected places.
* Pew: Muslims 'fastest-growing religious group in the world,' 70% Democrat Muslims are the fastest-growing religious group in the world, with 23 percent of the global population, and will take over Christianity as the top religion by the end of the century, according to the Pew Research Center.