* Syrian rebels claim capture of strategic military base Syrian rebel fighters said Friday they have captured a strategic northern military base used by the government to bomb opposition strongholds.
* Ethiopia's last Jews prepare for 'Promised Land' It was one of the most daring operations in Ethiopian history: Israel's 1991 airlift of Ethiopian Jews, when nearly 15,000 people were crammed into a series of non-stop flights lasting 36 hours.
* French troops continue operation against Mali Islamists French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said rebels heading towards the central town of Mopti were attacked.
* Ahmadinejad to seek closer ties in visit to Egypt Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is expected to visit Egypt in February.
* US, Russia at odds in Syria talks over Assad's fate Russia and the United States remained deadlocked Friday on the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
* Ya'alon speaks against founding of Palestinian state Vice Premiere Moshe Ya'alon (Likud) ruled out the possibility of establishing a Palestinian state alongside Israel.
* A Trail of Bullet Casings Leads From Africa's Wars Back to Iran The first clues appeared in Kenya, Uganda and what is now South Sudan.
* PM calls for eviction of Palestinian activists from E1 Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Saturday ordered the immediate evacuation of Bab al-Shams (Gate of the Sun).
* Where's Congess? 'Terror TV' buys Al Gore channel for access to U.S. households If Homeland Security Committee Chairman Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) lets the Al Jazeera-Al Gore deal go through without scrutiny, then every broadcast entity or communications facility in America is ripe for the plucking.
* EU states urge the UN to refer Syria to the ICC Four EU member states urged the United Nations to refer Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC).