* Iran warns US over Strait of Hormuz A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander said on Thursday that the United States was not in a position to tell Tehran "what to do in the Strait of Hormuz".
* Peres: It's still possible to make peace with Palestinians President Shimon Peres told top Christian clerics in Israel he still believes it is possible to achieve peace with the Palestinians.
* Syria monitors visit Damascus amid continuing violence Activists say at least 29 people were killed by security forces on Thursday.
* US warns Iran over threat to block oil route The US Navy has said it will not tolerate disruption to a vital oil-trade route, following an Iranian threat to close it.
* A boiling pot waiting to explode The IDF assesses that Hamas is not interested in a major conflict; its main concern is the stability of its rule in Gaza.
* U.S., Israel Discuss Triggers for Bombing Iran's Nuclear Infrastructure The Obama administration is trying to assure Israel privately that it would strike Iran militarily if Tehran's nuclear program crosses certain "red lines".
* North Korea hails Kim Jong-un as leader North Korea has hailed late leader Kim Jong-il's son, Kim Jong-un, as "supreme leader of the party, state and army".
* Mossad chief: Nuclear Iran not necessarily existential threat to Israel A nuclear-armed Iran wouldn't necessarily constitute a threat to Israel's continued existence.
* Israel's population stands at 7.8 million with 2012 around the bend Israel's population stands at 7.836 million, the Central Bureau of Statistics (ICBS) indicated on Thursday as part of its year-end survey.
* US Pushing Israel to Free Barghouti The Obama administration is trying to convince Israel to release arch-terrorist and mass-murderer Marwan Barghouti.