* Security forces on high alert as Israelis mark Yom Kippur Security and rescue forces were on high alert and deployed in large numbers in Jerusalem and throughout the West Bank for Yom Kippur.
* Yom Kippur: Israel Stops and Reflects The highest of the High Holidays – Yom Kippur – is to begin on Friday night.
* Gantz: Israel must always be war-ready IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen Benny Gantz was 14-years-old when the Yom Kippur War broke out.
* US warns against European 'gridlock' In the latest round of public pressure mounted on European leaders to move swiftly to contain the worsening debt crisis.
* Settlers vow to resist future evictions The second disengagement? The State is gearing to launch a series of West Bank settlements and outpost evictions after the High Holidays.
* Attacks Punctuate 10th Year of U.S. Afghan Fight Insurgents attacked four American outposts simultaneously near the border with Pakistan on Friday.
* The Deutsche Mark Is Coming, And Germany Will Still Lead The European Super-State Ever since the dawn of the European Union, it was clear that there was a power of three- France, Belelux and West Germany.
* World facing worst financial crisis in history, Bank of England Governor says The world is facing the worst financial crisis since at least the 1930s "if not ever", the Governor of the Bank of England said last night.
* Jews Shout Out to G-d at the Western Wall During the Ten Days of Repentance, the period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, thousands of Jews traditionally visit the Western Wall in Jerusalem.
* This Week in History: Deadly riots on the Temple Mount On October 8, 1990, members of the “Temple Mount Faithful” fringe Jewish group set out to the Temple Mount.