* MK Kara: Syrian opposition asked for Israel's help Deputy Minister for Galilee and Negev Development Ayoub Kara (Likud) on Saturday said that members of the Syrian opposition had turned to him to ask for Israel's help.
* Egypt eases blockade at Gaza's Rafah border Egypt has relaxed restrictions at its border with the Gaza Strip, allowing many Palestinians to cross freely for the first time in four years.
* Arab League chief backs Palestinian UN statehood bid The head of the Arab League said on Saturday the Palestinians should seek UN recognition for their statehood in September.
* NATO stages rare daytime air strike on Tripoli NATO carried out a rare daytime air strike on Tripoli on Saturday after a fifth straight night of attacks.
* UN chief urges member states to discourage new Gaza flotilla UN chief Ban Ki-moon called on governments on Friday to discourage pro-Palestinian activists from sending a new aid flotilla to Gaza.
* Gaza's Rafah Crossing opens The Rafah Crossing opened on a permanent basis Saturday, with some 150 Palestinians from Gaza entering Egypt.
* Afghanistan: Suicide blast kills top police commander The police commander for northern Afghanistan has been killed in a suicide bomb attack on Takhar province governor's office.
* Gene Simmons tells Obama to kiss off on 1967 KISS frontman Gene Simmons, who was born in Israel as Chaim Witz, had strong words for US President Barack Obama's proposed Middle East peace plan in a recent CNBC interview.
* Adolf Hitler 'honorary citizen' row grips Austria Several towns in Austria have been checking their archives this week to see if Adolf Hitler is still an honorary citizen of their communities.
* Arab League chief backs UN route for Palestinian state The head of the Arab League said on Saturday the Palestinians should seek UN recognition for their statehood in September.