* Uncertainty over US plans as war enters 10th year It's make-or-break time in Afghanistan. The war enters its 10th year Thursday, and this is no ordinary anniversary.
* Hamas threatens retaliation against PA The armed wing of Hamas and its allies said Wednesday they would retaliate against the Western-backed Palestinian Authority.
* Taliban set preconditions for formal peace talks Taliban officials have engaged in periodic, discreet contacts with Afghan and U.S. officials for months.
* Syria celebrates anniversary of 1973 war with Israel Wednesday saw the 29th anniversary of the 1973 conflict between Israel and its Arab neighbors and was marked with celebrations in Syria.
* Geert Wilders in Berlin: 'Tear down this wall . . . of denial and ignorance' about Islam I am very happy to be here in Berlin today. As you know, the invitation which my friend René Stadtkewitz extended to me, has cost him his membership of the CDU group in the Berlin Parliament.
* National interests creating tension in EU commission A group of EU commissioners from smaller member states is growing increasingly angry with a number of their larger-state colleagues.
* Risks and Advantages in U.S. Effort in Mideast When President Obama reopened face-to-face talks between the Israelis and Palestinians last month, he pledged that his administration would hold their hands.
* Obama upset over intelligence leaks President Barack Obama is upset over a rash of intelligence leaks in Washington.
* PA: Upgrading Western Wall Plaza Aimed at 'Seizing' Jerusalem Palestinian Authority officials have lambasted Israel’s plans to renovate and upgrade the historic Western Wall plaza area.
* Iran Extends Ties with Lebanon and Egypt The Islamic Republic of Iran is strengthening its ties with its area neighbors, particularly Lebanon and Egypt.