* Iran defends nuclear plans at UN Iran will resist "bullying powers" trying to thwart its peaceful nuclear ambitions, its leader has told the UN.
* EU: Evidence of past Iran nuke program The European Union said on Wednesday it appears Iran had a nuclear arms program in the past, despite denials from Teheran.
* Syria sees worse prospects for peace with Israel under Livni Syrian officials believe Tzipi Livni will stall the ongoing indirect negotiations between Jerusalem and Damascus over a possible peace treaty.
* Ahmadinejad: Blame the Zionists for World Problems The man that Israeli leaders consider to be the Number One threat to the existence of the State of Israel told the United Nations General Assembly Tuesday that 'Zionists" are the cause of the current financial disaster sweeping the world.
* Livni: Ahmadinejad speech makes mockery of UN vow of 'never again' The head of the ruling Kadima party, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, blasted the United Nations on Wednesday for granting Iran's president a platform to deliver an address against "Zionist murderers".
* Iraq deal over province elections The Iraqi parliament has passed a law which paves the way for provincial elections.
* Israel's population on eve of Rosh Hashanah: 7.3 million, 76% Jewish On the eve of Rosh Hashanah 5769, Israel's population stands at 7,337,000 people, including 5,542,000 Jewish Israelis (75.5 percent) and 1,477,000 Israeli Arabs (20.1 percent).* Immigration lowest since 1980s Immigration is at its lowest since the 1980s, with 18,129 olim arriving in Israel since last Rosh Hashana, according to a Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) report released Wednesday.